Today we did a case on children at risk and our responsibilities as early childhood teachers to mandatory report any case in which children are at significant harm. This topic is a tough one to discuss as it shows the realities of how life can be for some children who really have no power over adults. As a future EC teacher I need to be aware that these realities may well be present amongst the children within my care. We discussed a number of different scenarios some more severe than others however all scenarios brought upon issues of some form of abuse to children whether it be very minor neglect to strong physical and emotional abuse. By using an ethical decision making cycle I found it made the decision making process a little easier and clearer, we also used a decision tree to identify what action to take when presented with certain situations.
Overall I understand that I must act within the best interests of the children as my duty of care, and I hope I don't come across any forms of neglect or abuse in my practice as a teacher however I am aware that I need to be prepared.
No comments:
Post a Comment